Aztek Farms' History

The Spinks Plantation (renamed Aztek Farms) is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It is a lovely example of late 19th century architecture. The kitchen building c. 1875 is the oldest structure on the property. It is timber-framed and rested on large cedar blocks. The main family home c. 1900 utilizes balloon framing and is made entirely of heart pine

The first settlers were the Guy family from North Carolina. They migrated to Pike County in the early 1800's, and like most early settlers were subsistence farmers also raising cattle and hogs.

By the turn of the century, the Guy and Spinks families had intermarried. As the family grew in size and wealth additions to the home were made. The main house was built with four rooms on the first floor and two rooms on the second floor. After a short period of time the house was expanded again with additional rooms on the first and second floors. A family store was also built around the same time, and was operation until the early 1960's. The store sold dry goods, food, and home-made furniture. Besides being a commercial center for resident's of western Pike County, the store also served as a social center. People would meet up at the store and talk about the weather and local happenings.

Aztek Farms is a place that sheds light on the past of western Pike County, and shows the changing of the times in rural southwest Mississippi.